15.9.26

Books That Made Us

 

Books That Made Us by Carl Reinecke is the companion volume to the ABC television series from 2021, and it was a birthday present from one of my daughters. It's turned out to be the perfect accompaniment to the current conversation about the Top 100 Australian books list being put together by Radio National. It's a succinct but comprehensive and very readable summary of the history of Australian literature and publishing, from Marcus Clarke's Term of His Natural Life up to Melissa Lucashenko's Too Much Lip. 

I was pleased to encounter plenty of old friends among these books, but I was also alerted to some big gaps in my reading education. I've still never read anything by Patrick White or George Johnston, for example. But it was wonderful to accidentally listen to a segment on Late Night Live about the poet Lesbia Harford, and recognise the names of her associates Katharine Susannah Prichard and Vance and Nettie Palmer from reading Books That Made Us.

Reinecke has helped me put a context around some authors who came to prominence slightly before my time, like Thomas Kenneally and Frank Moorhouse, as well as writers I feel I know much better, like Helen Garner and Christos Tsiolkas. Books That Made Us works perfectly as an educational guide as well as a Books To Read list and a potted history of Australia itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

0 comments