6.9.12

Arrivals

It might have been reading Shaun Tan's brilliant, wordless exploration of the migrant experience, The Arrival for book group, that started me on what seems to be an ongoing quest, but I seem to be picking up stories about refugees at the moment.

I was halfway through Neil Grant's The Ink Bridge when I found out it had won the Queensland Literary Award for YA (well, maybe this was sort of inspired by doing a school gig at the same time as Neil and remembering that I hadn't read The Ink Bridge yet -- and I'm so glad I did, though the first half was a pretty harrowing reading experience.) Congratulations, Neil!

Now I'm reading Anh Do's The Happiest Refugee, also much awarded, and waiting next on the pile beside the bed, I have Her Father's Daughter by Alice Pung.

Any suggestions for other similarly themed books I might have missed?

I just realised these titles are all Australian, too. Coincidence? I don't think so, somehow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

0 comments