6.12.23

The Pinhoe Egg

The final Chrestomanci book in my bundle, and one I hadn't read before. The Pinhoe Egg, like many Diana Wynne Jones books, builds slowly, as she carefully lays the foundation for the climax to come, each piece of the puzzle precisely placed for the later payoff.

It was nice to have a prominent female protagonist in Marianne, and I really adored Klartch, the baby griffin. Millie has quite a big role in this book as well, which for once sees Chrestomanci in his own backyard instead of roaming through the multiple worlds. The rival village families are all pretty nasty, though just how nasty isn't revealed until the end -- I was horrified that Gammer Norah was planning to release smallpox. And, as usual, there is a charismatic cat to reckon with: Nutcase can even walk through walls!

I wish Chrestomanci would come and sort out our world's problems with magic, he is such a wonderful character with his vague stare and incredible dressing-gowns. I have enjoyed visiting and revisiting his universe so much, I think I'll have to reread the rest of my Wynne Jones collection.


2 comments:

  1. I love the Pinhoe Egg; especially the clever pony who is such a believable real pony, and the griffin, and Cat's type of magic being linked to nature and animals. And I love the two worlds of Chrestomanci's 'big house' important magic, while the villagers have their own thing going on within a stone's throw that none of the important magicians seem to have noticed, until Cat and Marianne link up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's wonderful -- all those layers. 'Dwimmer' is a beautiful concept, isn't it. And Syracuse is a great character!

    ReplyDelete

0 comments