16.12.13

Christmas Reading

As Christmas approaches, so does the anticipation of lots of book-shaped parcels beneath the Christmas tree. I buy myself a lot of book-type presents through the year, mostly second-hand and ex-library -- but Christmas is the time to indulge in shiny expensive newness: fresh brand-new copies of mostly recent releases. And as I don't like leaving things to chance, these are the presents I know I'm getting from my beloveds this year:

Barracuda, Christos Tsiolkas - wrapped
The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman - wrapped
Activate the Stickitupemizer! First Dog on the Moon (a record by the inimitable First Dog of the Western Bulldogs 2013 season in cartoon form, available here if you're interested :-)
One Day, David Nicholls (I ordered this after discovering that apparently Emma Morley is the literary character I most resemble -- we shall see)
Housekeeping, Marilynne Robinson (an exception to the 'new releases' rule, but I have wanted this book forever, having adored her Gilead and Home, and when I found it online I couldn't resist)

And I think I'm getting a book voucher from my sister, which I intend to spend on Sea Hearts, by Margo Lanagan, just in time for the first book group meeting of next year.

What's on your wish list this Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

0 comments