10.10.23

The Things That Matter Most

I heard Gabbie Stroud talking on the radio about her new book, The Things That Matter Most, but I must have only been half-listening because I didn't pick up that it's fiction, not non-fiction. Stroud is an ex-teacher and has already written a couple of non-fiction books on the subject, so perhaps that's where my confusion arose.

This is a terrific, lively, easy to engage with novel which starkly dramatises the issues teachers face --overwhelmed with box-ticking, pointless admin and besieged by demanding parents and media, as well as their own personal dramas, they find themselves with less and less time to really connect with the students themselves. As one small family falls through the cracks, each staff member at the primary school sees part of the picture, a couple of little clues, but because there is no space or time to put it all together, the result is a tragedy.

Teachers have a really tough time, and they shoulder the blame and responsibility for a lot of social problems that really shouldn't need to be their core business. They work bloody hard and they don't get paid nearly enough. The system is cracking under the weight. In the course of my working life, I see a lot of very well-resourced schools, with amazing staff and wonderful facilities, but I'm well aware that there are also amazing staff in schools with leaking classrooms and outdated computers. It's not good enough. All our children deserve the very best -- thank God that teachers do the incredible work that they do, but we need to reward them properly.
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I do so agree! I have been a primary teacher (briefly), and worked in schools giving talks and workshops (again, briefly). Visiting elite private schools and observing the facilities and class size, plus just the general morale of teachers and students made me want to weep. Swimming pools, gyms, multiple performance spaces (no "general purpose rooms"), manicured lawns (with gardeners picking up the girls' rubbish after lunch!) and the rest.The contrast with my son's primary and secondary schools, always struggling, was heartbreaking. Our formula for funding public and private schools is totally broken when the most disadvantaged learners are treated like s***t, and know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funding disparity is appalling, and it becomes self-perpetuating as parents flee to the better resourced schools. And it's those schools who can afford to pay me to come and talk to their students, so I guess I'm complicit :( The whole system needs to be unwound.

      Delete

0 comments