1.11.23

Charmed Life

As noted previously, I've bought all the Chrestomanci books on my Kindle, so I don't get the benefit of this excellent cover. I had quite strong memories of Charmed Life, the first of Diana Wynne Jones' Chrestomanci books. I remembered fiendish, selfish Gwendolen, and her helpless (until the end) brother, Cat, though I'd forgotten the details of the awful magical tricks that Gwendolen played. Having just read The Lives of Christopher Chant, I was familiar with the Castle, Chrestomanci himself and his lovely wife Millie, though there was a slight pang in meeting them again suddenly grown up.

Chrestomanci himself is a delicious character, everything a powerful enchanter ought to be -- tall, devastating, charismatic and rather terrifying at first, and owning an amazing array of luxurious dressing-gowns and elegant suits -- the dressing-gowns and suits had also made a lasting impression. I might have been confused by the structure of this universe and the series of alternate worlds if I'd read this book first. The Lives of Christopher Chant explains it all more clearly. 

Now that I think about it, Chrestomanci has shades of Dr Who, especially as played by David Tennant -- ooh, I'd love to see a TV adaptation of these books with Tennant in the title role. Come on, someone, make it happen!

4 comments:

  1. How can it be? Here is a huge gap in my reading! I read a couple of Wynne Jones books when I was a teenager, but not these. I am sure Central Goldfields Library have chucked all their copies out, but will keep my eyes peeled in the second hand sites I trawl. And the Op shops, when I can get out again. (Confined to quarters, knee injury, very frustrating). Are you well and truly recovered from covid? My brother and sister in law just had a truly horrific experience in London. Caught covid and despite all sorts of red flags (asthma, for one) did not meet the criteria for anti-virals. They've been SO sick. I think I got off lightly when I had it back in April...I hope you did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE gap! Do keep an eye out, they are absolute classics. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother and SIL, that's awful. I haven't really been very sick, fortunately, but still feeling low level fatigue and washed out two weeks later. My poor mum has had it too, and while we got her onto the anti-virals, it's still taken it out of her and she is still quite wobbly. She is still testing positive after two weeks, so she must have had a high level of virus in her system, the line was very dark on her test. Getting over it now though, I hope. And I hope your knee gets better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. My knee would get better if I didn't try to do too much! I have just remembered the Wynne Jones book I read in Form 1 or 2. Fire and Hemlock. A bit scary, perhaps a bit 'young adult' for me at the time. I will seek that one out. Re-reading after decades is interesting, isn't it? What you remember, and what you totally forget.

      Delete
  3. I used to have Fire and Hemlock, which I first read as an adult and really enjoyed, but I think I must have lent it to someone because now I can't find it. Very annoying, I'd love to read it again. Might have to Kindle it.

    ReplyDelete

0 comments