24.8.18

Everything Everything

Of course it's 'now a major motion picture!' I shouldn't be surprised. Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon is a typical contemporary YA novel, and as such, it was crying out to be adapted for film.

There were some aspects I liked about this novel:
  • it was short and easy to read (thanks to some very short chapters, and many illustrations)
  • it had a female protagonist of colour (half-Japanese, half-African American) (like the author, which I also liked)
  • it was pacy 
There were some things I didn't like so much:
  • another hot and heavy teen romance (rolls eyes) 
  • without being too spoilery, I found the plot totally implausible, and therefore the Big Twist did not take me by surprise
I felt quite ambivalent about this book. It's clearly been well-read at the local library, as I had to reserve it and it's been thoroughly thumbed. For what it was, it was fine, it was nicely put together and easy to fly through. But it's just not the kind of book that I really enjoy... Which is fine, because it wasn't written for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

0 comments