16.5.22

My Age of Anxiety

 

I have anxiety. My mother has anxiety. My grandfather (almost certainly) had anxiety. One of my daughters has anxiety. But I don't think any of us have suffered the extreme torments that have tortured Scott Stossel from his earliest childhood, through adolescence and into an apparently successful adulthood.

It was quite harrowing to read Stossel's struggles with various phobias, particularly his terror of vomiting, which I didn't even know was a thing, but has more victims than fear of flying. He intersperses his personal account of trying to deal with crippling, lifelong dread (psychotherapy, medication, one particularly distressing attempt at exposure treatment) with the latest brain science that attempts to tease out where anxiety comes from, how it serves us, and how we can try to overcome it.

My Age of Anxiety is a very readable and intelligent examination of mental health and a memoir of pain and dread. Stossel is optimistic and nuanced in his approach, recognising the tension in his concern that Americans might be over-medicated, with his own long-term dependence on that same medication. This is not an easy topic but it is very timely and a great summary of the current science.

2 comments:

  1. I read this a few years ago, too, and yes - it was gruelling. Anxiety is a factor for me, too - when I was younger, it was - if not crippling - a huge drag on my life and my choices. i don't think it's something I will ever overcome: it's a work in progress, but I understand now that the 'anxious me' is trying to keep me safe...but over-doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it helps to be forgiving of yourself, I think! I've also found it helpful to remind myself that 'this is just a feeling' and it will subside, though it's horrible while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete

0 comments